Monday, December 18, 2006

Flood update

At 12 noon I was on the phone with a friend and decided to go to the basement and do some laundry. I noticed a puddle of water on the floor around the drain we have in the basement. Okay, that was weird so I thought that I should get off the phone and let Adam know. I went and woke him up from his restful slumber (he is on nights) and he came down to look. We called the building maintenance manager and he said that everyone's basements were flooding. OKay, so at least we were not alone. I went to have a shower and relax while Adam cooked the kids a little lunch. When I came down Adam broke the news that there was a lot more water down there. We went and looked and sure enough, a LOT more! It was almost to the carpet. Okay so we started to shop vac it out of there but it was coming in faster than we could get rid of it! Adam was really frustrated. We decided it was time to just start to get our stuff out of there. So that is what we did. We brought up everything that was on the floor or the bottom shelves of the bookshelves. I called the insurance agency just to see if it was covered and they said it would be because the water was coming from the inside drain. We will look into that in the next few days and see if it is worth it to us to use the insurance. Anyway, it went up to about 4 inches at the deepest and was over the whole carpet. It didn't quite reach the bottoms of the drywall. The bookshelves we have are made of chip board and will be wrecked and the carpet will definately need to be torn out. I sat down in the living room and we all huddled up and started to pray for God's prtection and for him to make the water drain and for the rian to subside... sure enough, the next time we went and looked, it was starting to drain. I have been walking in constant prayer today. So, the laundry room is mostly drained now and I just have to figure out what to do with the carpetted area. I know the carpet needs to be ripped out but that is quite a job. I would love to be able to put something on the floor but that will depend on if we can get the insurance money. It really depends on if it is worth it to us after the deduction. If there was a $100 deduction I would be jumping at it. The damage is way more than that for sure! Well, I pray that God is blessing everyone with quality family time while all this rain pours down. I know we are having that for sure! God bless you all! I thank God he made the water drain and Christy tells me it is supposed to be sunny tomorrow! THANK YOU GOD!!!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Sorry to hear about your basement.We have renter's insurance through Keenleyside and our detuctable is 1000.00.Glad to hear you have insurance and that it is suppossed to be sunny.Today Bill's plane didn't come in so he is heading out tommorrow.I will keep you in our prayers and hopefully your basement will be back together soon.

Anonymous said...

I hope you can get that taken care of as inexpensive as possible!

Take care of yourselves and have a great christmas with your family and friends!!