Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Baby Names

I thought tonight that I would write about something a little different, I would write about our babies names. I am amazed by our children each and every day! Naming our children was extremely hard for me and Adam and we put utmost importance on the meanings of the names. We wanted to be able to tell our children of the greatness that was behind the name we chose for them and that even through their names they would know of Christ! Also bestowing on them some family link besides last name. But at the same time making sure that we loved the way they sounded and that they would not be strange and cause problems for our children. So this is it.

Joshua- God is Salvation
Adam- Of the earth

Adam always wanted his first boy to be named Joshua if he was blessed with children. It is the same meaning that the name Jesus has. I was unsure at first if I wanted such a popular name but realized the importance for Adam and the name quickly grew on me and now I love to be able to tell him of the reason we named him Joshua. And we named his second name Adam because it was important to me to have his daddy's name in there. As the eldest son I wanted him to know his importance to his daddy and it was actually hard for Adam at first. I told him that I really wanted it and he soon came around.

Annabelle- Graceful and Beautiful
Leonora- Compassion, Light

We had a hard time agreeing on a girls name. When we came to Annabelle it was the first name we liked together. Checked the meaning and saw that it was exactly what we wanted. We both said that we could call her Belle and everytime we would say her name we would be calling her beautiful! I thought that it was cute and it suits her so well now. Leonora is my middle name and although Adam really wanted Charlene to be her middle name I thought that it sounded silly as a middle name. I love that Leonora means compassion as that is a wonderful thing to bestow on and speak into her life. Cool thing too that it means light as she opened our advent calander yesterday and today told Daddy, that Jesus is called the Light of the World and His light lives right in her heart! I was so blessed to hear her say that. She just accepted Christ 2 months ago. It is good to hear that she has some basic understanding as she would not let me tell her that she was too young to understand about accepting Christ. She sure knows what she want and for sure knows that she is a princess because her Father God is THE King!

Joel- Johovah is Lord
Andrew-man, warrior


Joel, well what can I say... Johovah is Lord! God blessed me with a third child which I did not expect as Adam origionally only wanted 2. It was funny that we first wanted to name Joel Joseph. Joseph means- to add. That would have been fine but not nearly as powerful as the fact that Johovah is Lord! We loved it, loved how it sounded even before we checked the meaning and then the meaning was what sealed it! I believe that he will declare to many the meaning of his name! And Andrew, Adam's twin brother who has been such a blessing and friend in his life. We did not want to give our kids family names and then have to leave someone out and feel guilty about it. Andrew was an easy one though. They are identical twins and Adam really wanted to honor his little bro with having our child named after him and I didn't mind at all. Also I love that Andrew means warrior, a great thing for a man to be.

So there is a little glimps into our thinking in naming our kids. I was just thinking about names lately as our very good friends Dave and Carmen are expecting their second baby to arrive anyday and our great friends and the god parents of our babies, Chris and Christy, are expecting just in a couple months the arrival of their second. I can't wait to hold these little ones!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post Char! Thanks for sharing the meanings! We are still deciding on a name for baby#2!

Anonymous said...

Great post Char! Thanks for sharing the meanings! We are still deciding on a name for baby#2!