Monday, October 16, 2006

Angel... fly away

Well, one of the hardest things I have had to do for a long time, I had to bring our kitty, Angel, to the pound. We don't have money to get her fixed and while she is in heat she has many many "accidents" all over the house. I have gotten so frustrated and I guess the straw that broke the camel's back was when she pooped on Joshua's foot the other night. Since then, we took the weekend to think it over and make sure it was what we wanted to do. In that time I cleaned up about 5 more messes and realized, this is just too much! I have been so discouraged about it because I really do feel responsibility to any animal we are to take in to our home. We all really loved her and it was hard for everyone. Especially Adam I think but he could see there was a real problem too and there just wasn't the money to get her fixed and just hope that the problem would stop. So, I took her in and the ladies at the pound said, "oh don't worry, she will be adopted soon, she is really beautiful!" And I felt like grabbing her back because she is so stinking pretty that I didn't wanna get rid of her. I almost cryed while signing the papers. But as I left the pound, I took a sigh of relief. I am finally free of the messes and all that work! She was gorgeous and great with the kids but I can't have my house getting wrecked to keep a pretty kitty.
We took Angel in one day when a neighbor brought her to us. She had found her and Angel was close to death. We took her and bathed her, fed her. In the next days we had to get flea meds, ear mite meds, polysporine for her eye infections, and worm pills as se had brought all these things into the house. I was frustrated but soon grew to love her. She grew up and the kids have loved every minute of her. Well, we took a sick little kitty and got her well and big, now she can be a kitty for someone else. I told them at the pound that she needs to be fixed and that she has accidents when she is in heat so they wrote that on the paper work. I am glad I was honest and now another family will really know what they are getting. Also, they don't kill the cats after any amount of time except if they get sick. I asked them to call us when she gets adopted so we can tell the kids. I pray someone finds her and loves her soon. What a hard day.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so sorry, but you know you're thinking of the best interest of your family and of your cat. Another family will take her in. I hope you are not too stressed about it.

Tanya said...

Awww Char! We're thinking of you, I'm sure it was a very hard decision. Pets are a wonderful gift, but you were right in thinking of your family first, they're needs are alot more important. She will find a new home! And they'll love her just as much as you all did. ((((hugs))))!

Gwen said...

I agree with everyone here... it's really hard to do, but definitely the responsible decision. You did the right thing! love you!

Tanya said...

Char;
Having just going through that,remember 13 cats(catlady).I to had a very hard time but i trusted in God and the pound phoned us everytime they found a home and they found wonderful homes for all ten,but it is hard because they become a part of the family,but like you we had to put our family first,just know you did what was best for everyone.love you all tanya m

Charlene said...

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I re read my post today and realized that it may be hard to unerstand as I wrote it when I was so tired. Also, we still have Pumpkin, the origional cat who will now get all our love and he is already really sucking it all up. Christy, your story really encouraged me and gave me the strength to actually go and bring her in. I felt like I was the only one who ever had to do this. Adam is still missing her a lot though. Anyway, I really appreciate everything you all wrote! THanks.

starla said...

sounds like you've had a hard week or so....i called you the other day to join us at the park but you were out dealing with your cat at the time...maybe next time.