Tuesday, March 21, 2006

For those reading who are not aware, I developed a hernia in my belly button while pregnant with my beautiful son Joel. Well, the surgery is over and all went fine! Thank God for his hand of safety in my life.
I arrived at the hospital and was nervous as I don't enjoy the whole ordeal of surgery but God is so faithful. It was 7:45am and I was prepared for the surgery and praying for safety. I am still sick with this cold which has been hanging on for a month now (as it is with anyone who I know who has it, and that is many). I was nervous about my cough and phlem when being put under but the nurse told me that it would be fine and I would just end up coughing more after I awoke for a while, which I did not. Thank the Lord again and again. The nurse told me I would be waiting a few hours so I started reading. Then, realizing just how long a wait it was I asked the nurse if I could take a nap. She said that that would be great so I layed down at about 8:30am. I awoke and opened my eyes at 10:00 and heard the nurse talking to someone. As I looked to see who it was I realized that it was Hazel, a wonderful woman from church. She is actually our good friend Sam's mom. Oh, I was so glad to wake to a friendly face. As my mom could not come to town for my operation and I was at the hospital alone (Adam was caring for the kids), I believe that God sent Hazel to comfort me, and that she did! We talked and talked. It was like we were just good friend, although we have really had very few conversations together before. Again, I thank God for hearing the cries of my heart. I needed a mom to calm my nerves and that is what He sent for me. Before I knew it it was about 12pm and the nurse was calling me for my surgery. I was not nervous anymore, on the contrary, I was laughing and light on my feet. I felt relaxed.
It was time to get prepped for my surgery and the anesthesiologist came and talked to me and then I was off to have the procedure done. She gave me some happy drug in my IV and then told me I would go to sleep. I said, "night night" and then I said, "are you going to start?" and a nurse said, "you are all done" (It is funny, when I sleep at night, I am aware of time passing. When I am knocked out, time seems to stand still. Strange sensation). Then I said, "really? I guess that is why I am in so much pain". I had no idea that it was going to be so painful after!!
Up the stairs I went, and there was Hazel, smiling at me as I came in the room. What a blessing. And then she was off for her procedure. It took me quite a while to be ready to even sit up and have water. I was wondering why I was in so much pain and it finally came to me tonight. I know that Tylenol 3 with codien is supposed to knock a person out, or at least take away all signs of pain. For some reason, it does nothing for me. I have used it 3 times before, and everytime have realized that there is no use. Each time, though, I second guess myself and think that I must be making it up. Or maybe it will work this time. I have been told so many times that it is impossible for it not to work. But, I see again, I was taking the medication, thinking that it was going to help with pain and maybe help me sleep, but again, it doesn't feel any different than without it. So, I am awake, in a lot of pain and feeling lonesome. It is 3:40am. Tomorrow, or rather today, I will see if Adam can get me some Motrin as that always seems to help. The nurse told me that I should feel like a truck run over me by the second day, and that is about how I feel.
Adam has taken tomorrow off work as I am not able to lift for 7 days. I don't know what I will do when Adam has to go out of town on Thursday and Friday, but I know that God always takes care of me, so someone will be willing to help, I know it.
Well, there is my report, I am well, quite well. Pain is only pain and I can get through it. I ask for prayer, someone please pray that I will heal quickly and that there will be no complications in the healing process. I am just so thankful that they have these operations so that I don't have to suffer with the hernia after this! I truly believe that one way God creates healing miracles all the time is by the hand of skilled surgeons.
In closing this entry, I want to thank everyone who has prayed for me. God has been my comforter, my healer, my protector and my friend in all this. I love this verse:
2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
I pray that I will be well for my birthday at the end of March as I would love to bring in the next year in my life, healthy. This year has been quite a struggle that way.
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

6 comments:

Tanya said...

I will pray a prayer of a quick recovery time for you. Its so hard to be in pain and to have kids to look after. I pray that the motrin will help. I know what its like to be in that kind of pain too. I had to have my gallbladder removed when my daughter was seven weeks old, it wasn't fun, and it was christmas too.

You are in my prayers and thoughts this week. I will also pray that he sends someone your way to help you out with the kids on thursday and friday. Take care.

Jenny said...

If you need anything Thursday or Friday don't hesitate to let me know!! I'm only a van drive away!
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I was wondering what kind of surgery you were having!

Andrew Brown said...

Hi, Charlene. It was GREAT talking with you and Adam on the phone before he took off for Vancouver. I will continue to pray that God provides for your every need. You, Adam and your family have been such a blessing to me! love in Christ

Jenny said...

I hope you're feeling better!!

Charlene said...

Jenny,
Thank you so much for your care. I have not been up to being on the computer the last few days so I didn't get to respond. A very good friend of mine offered to spend the night tonight while Adam is out of town. I am so thankful as I am still having a very hard time getting around. I am feeling a little better though and things seem to be healing properly. The stitches are so itchy and I can't take my bandage off for 2 more days so I can't even see yet what kind of damage is there. Oh well, it is what it is. Thank you so much for your offer of help, it means so much to me to have a link of people who are willing to help me if I need it. Thanks.

Tanya,
Thank you also for your comment and concern. I appreciate all the prayer I can get as I really need to be well again to take care of the kids properly. Thanks so much!

Andrew,
I was so glad to hear from you today, too. It is so nice when you call, it sounds as if you are right here in Terrace. Adam made it out safe and sound and was so excited to be going. What a cool opportunity for him. Love you Andrew.

Jenny said...

It sounds like you are doing better! I read some of your brother in laws posts the other night. They were very interesting. Here's a piece of non important trivia. My husband's a twin as well. They are identical, but to me they don't look the same. They do have different features (noses are different) so how can they be identical than?