Thursday, March 27, 2008

Easter weekend fun

When Joshua got his report card before spring break (which was just awesome!) the school sent home this idea for something to do with kids for Easter. I thought that it was just wonderful and so we did it! Making special Easter cookies. Most people who read my blog know that we try to teach the kids the true meaning of the holidays. We don't mind incorporating other stuff in as long as the most prominent thing in all about Jesus! The reason for this season for sure!!! I have postponed this post for a few days trying to find my paper that had all the verses on it but to no avail. So I will share the ideas but I read out all the verses and talked about each bit of it with the kids. They loved it.



We talked about Jesus body being beaten for our transgressions and bruised for our iniquities. And the kids beat wildly on this pecans to make them crushed for the cookies.



The finished nuts
We put in the bowl a little vinegar. I told the kids about when Jesus was on the cross and asked for a drink they would hold a sponge soaked in vinegar up for him to drink. Then we added salt which was to represent the salty tears that the people watching the Crucifixion shed. Then the egg white which were for life. The life Jesus was giving up so that we may have life! I asked the kids if it seemed like yummy cookies, of course they got to taste the salt and the vinegar. They all said no!
So then I told them about the sweetest part, that through Jesus death we had the gift of eternal life. we read John 3:16 and a couple more about God's love for us. And then added the sugar.


The waiting begins. We had to beat this stuff for about 15 minutes so I told the kids they could go and play while Nana and I whipped it up and then we would call them. There was no way they would leave! ha ha I beat it for about 11 minutes which I think I should have done just a little longer but the worked out okay.


what a handsome boy!
The stiff peaks

Alex added the nuts as the cookies are not right unless everything was added just as Christ's death would not have been so meaningful if all the aspects were not a part of it.

Cookies on the sheet. I think that they were supposed to be a little taller but that is okay
Putting them in the stove. We told the kids about how Christ was taken down off the cross and was placed in the tomb.
Then we explained to the kids that the rock was rolled in front of the tomb and it was sealed so we sealed the oven, with tape. I told the kids that we couldn't eat the cookies till the morning and that even though it is hard to wait it was a reminder of how all the people who loved Jesus felt when he went in the tomb. we talked about them grieving. Then we left the oven.


And I stood guard all night! ha ha
The kids went to bed with hopeful anticipation of seeing their cookies in the morning. Went and cleaned up and headed to bed. First thing in the morning they came down and asked about the cookies. They took the tape off to unseal the oven and I took the cookies out.
So the idea was that when they bite into the cookies, the cookies are hollow and then we tell them about how when the people came to the tomb to see Jesus, it was EMPTY! Yes, he was risen!
The cookies were so yummy. Not as hollow as I would have liked. I believe that if I beat them longer they would have been taller and more hollow, but we got the point across and it was a lot of fun. Especially having my nephews here to share in the excitement!
A typical Joel face.

Then, Easter Sunday we went to church while my bro in law went to Ferry Island to set up a fabulous Easter egg hunt for the kids! And he had the fire ready for a great wiener roast also! We got there after church and ate and then the fun began!
Handing out cups for the collecting
A little of the action
Each kid got one of these that were hidden in the trees
Awesome!

Showing Auntie the Easter eggs!
Enjoying a "little" chocolate!
Sorting like always
Yummy!
And a little of the sugar kicking in! ha ha



Then, low and behold, a truck comes in and parks and it is my bro in law's brother and girlfriend! My nephews haven't seen them since they left Ft SJ about a month ago and were so excited to visit!
Annabelle sucking on chocolate
Mark and Eric
Jess and Alex
A little gross by the end of the day. That is BBQ sauce, mustard, chocolate, dirt and charcoal! Always a lady to me!
Sharing chips. Eric and Belle
Alex giving a little attitude.
What a great time. Thank God for great family, cool kids and holidays that are truly worth celebrating!

2 comments:

Virginia said...

Looks like you guys had a fun day. The kids look like they really enjoyed it!!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a great Easter weekend. I love the cookie idea. That was cool. And you had alot of fun at Ferry Island. I know what you mean about being blessed with family. Family seems to make every hoilday and occastion just that much better. :)